"Who the heck goes full-on grocery shopping at 11:00 at night?!"
That was the 16 year-old kid behind me in line at the grocery store tonight. And for the record it was only 10:30.
"Seriously, this is ridiculous!"
Ugh.
You know what kid? People with small children and full-time jobs go grocery shopping at 11:00 at night. So I'm sorry if I'm cutting into your Red Bull-chugging, Grand-Theft Auto playing, Pokemon card collecting, skateboarding time but the next time that you and your little posse of snot-nosed friends get the midnight munchies, I suggest that you buy your Snickers and Monster Energy drinks at the Plaid Pantry down the street, the line is shorter.
I really wanted to say all of that but I didn't because as Nathan Fillion says, "It costs very little to say something nice, and even less to shut up all together." (Yes, I just quoted Nathan Fillion - you wish you were me right now.)And of course there's that whole Proverbs 15 thing about a gentle answer deflecting anger and harsh words making tempers flare. Really God? You're gonna do this to me now? I guess that's what I get for asking Him to make me more like Jesus on the way to the grocery store. I just didn't expect the response time to be so quick.
So I kept my mouth shut. And I kept my mouth shut as the cashier couldn't get my $5 formula rebate check to run through the machine and the kids rolled their eyes and grumbled and the line behind me got longer and longer.
And I kept my mouth shut as I walked outside to my car and two 11-year olds in the parking lot (seriously, where are these kids' parents?) complained about their friends taking too long in the store.
And I kept my mouth shut as I heard the kid come out of the store and loudly complain to his 11-year old friends that people were buying too much stuff and the lady in front of him had too many coupons.
And I didn't drive past them on my way out of the parking lot because I couldn't promise myself that I wouldn't "accidentally" drive over their skateboards.
So if you, my dear reader, learn anything else from my encounter this evening, remember this: Jesus didn't love-bump the pharisees with the fender of his car so neither should you.



4 comments:
Jackie, I love how brutally honest you are. I don't know if I could have restrained myself. Don't you just love it when God answers our prayers? =D
YESSSSS, I love drama blogs. I live for drama blogs. What the heck, Drama Blog. Let's just run away together, shall we?
I love that you guys love me even when I act like a crazy person.
I love you even more when you act like a crazy person!
Post a Comment