Sunday, October 17, 2010

Free Time...What Free Time?

As if I don't have enough to do or plan for, I have this crazy urge to learn how to knit and crochet.

Over the years, I've picked up a few crafty skills.  Most prominently, paper crafting and sewing.  I have to admit however, that the sewing has been limited to Halloween costumes and curtains.  But if you ever need a pirate shirt - I'm your girl.

The down side to both of these is that they require so much preparation and set up just to get started.  If I want to make a card, I have to have the paper, stickers, ink, stamp, scissors, punch, adhesive, etc...out and ready to go or else I'm getting up every five seconds.  If I want to sew, I have to lug out my sewing machine, sewing kit, fabric, cut out the pattern (if there is one), pin the pattern, make sure the carpet is vacuumed, the fabric is washed and ironed, blah, blah, blah.  Admittedly, some of these problems would be solved with a dedicated work space - but that's not a luxury that I have at this point in my life.

Knotty Tots Beanie & Legwarmers Set at Etsy

With knitting or crochet, I can keep my project in a basket, bag or a box next to the couch and pick it up while watching TV or enjoying a few quite moments to myself.  I can sit on the couch and cross my legs and slouch - no table and chair needed!

Granted, I say all of this just days before my first born arrives in the world.  There will probably be very little TV time and certainly fewer quiet moments to found over the next 18 years.  A new hobby is probably not a good idea at this point, but you can bet that it's staying at the top of my list of New Things to Learn.

2 comments:

Ann said...

That is exactly why I love knitting and crocheting. So handy. I love to knit while we watch movies or TV. I know life is crazy right now, but if you ever want to learn, I'm happy to teach you.

Kecia said...

Jessica is learning to crochet! We need to get you two together. :)
I'm so excited for you right now I can't stand it. I thought about you last night as I was getting ready for bed, and prayed for you just in case. PLEASE tell Matt to send a picture to my or Mike's phone as soon as he can!!

"oprepre"...Maybe Bonquiqui's brother?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...