Friday, October 3, 2008

Held Captive by a Homecoming Parade

This afternoon I headed out to run some errands. On my way up the hill to the bank I noticed that there were a lot of people hanging around by the corner near my house. There were a couple of jokers with a blanket and their hatchback open. Then there were a couple of kids with an umbrella who looked way too normal to be hanging around our place. I thought, "How strange, what are all of these people doing?"

On my way home I passed a group of like 150 kids sitting by the elementary school near our house. "What are these kids doing out here? Did buses not come today? Did their parents forget to pick them up?" No? Hmm... "Wait what's that roadblock up there? Oh, well I'll just turn around and go the other way."

Turn, turn, turn, turn...

"Oh, another roadblock...hmmm, maybe there's an accident. I think I hear sirens. Oh well, I'll just go down the street by the Dairy Queen."

Turn, turn, turn, turn...

"What are all of these people doing down by the Dairy Queen? It's raining, who wants this much ice cream? Oh gosh, another roadblock? What's going on? PARADE ROUTE! WHAT THE...? I'll just go to this nice police officer over here and see if I can get to my house, it's just around the corner."

Roll, Roll, Roll

"Excuse me, can I go around the corner? I live just over on East Street. It's just right...there..."

"I'm sorry ma'am. This is the parade route. You'll just have to pull over to the side and wait for it to pass."

"But I'm just..." (And here's where I burst into tears) "Oh, okay. Thank you..."

Turn, turn, turn...sniff sniff...turn...dial.

"Hi. I can't get HOME!" Sniff, sniff. "And I started crying in front of the police officer who told me to sit here and wait. And I just want to come home. I've been driving around FOREVER!" Matt found the situation pretty humorous which I tried to convince him was NOT humorous. But in the end he got me to stop crying so I forgive him.

Sniff, sniff (residual sinffles), dial.

"Hey, I'm not home leave a message...beep"

"Hi Beth, it's Jackie. I was just checking to see if you were home...my street's blocked off for some sort of parade. And I started crying in front of the police office. I think I'm hormonal. Well, I'll talk to you later."

Did I just tell Beth that I was hormonal? On her answering machine? I did. Man, I hope she doesn't have company over when she listens to that.

3 comments:

Kecia said...

Hey, don't cry--next time just try to get some candy, or a little plastic football!

Meredith said...

I think you need a vacation. In Yosemite. The granite does wonders for your hormones. :o) just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Your secret is safe w/me Jackie. I was the only one who listened to the message, and I didn't even save it. (Although I was tempted to save it and play it for Rea.) I'm glad you made it safely w/only a few tears shed. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...