Well yes, there is that child that we're all talking about. But the child I'm talking about is the first (human) addition to my friends' family. My dear, dear friends, Blake and Jenny, welcomed their little boy into the world early this morning. With about 200 miles between us it may be a while before I see his shining little face in the flesh, but knowing both of his parents I'm sure he's cute as a button. (Knowing both of his parents, I'm sure he'll also be smarter than most adults by the age of five and kicking a soccer ball or swinging a golf club around the house much sooner than they anticipate.)
I asked/told Jenny that I wanted to re-post the blog entry she penned on December 22nd, less than 48 hours before she gave birth to her first child. I've never given birth and I'm not a mother so a certain understanding about Mary's plight and the birth of Christ is totally lost on me which is why I truly appreciated Jenny sharing her feelings which seemed that much more significant to me knowing she is going through this at a time that we celebrate the birth of our Savior. (It's also significant because I love her.) So, without further ado...
"Being so close to my due date this Christmas season has made me take a look at the Christmas story from a different perspective. For obvious reasons, the emphasis of this season is on Jesus and his future significance. His mother Mary's role in the events is obviously critical, yet I had never given Mary much thought. I don't think I could comprehend the feelings (both physical and emotional) that she must have been going through until I had experienced it myself. The purely physical aspects of the story are appalling to me right now. I can't imagine traveling across the country on a plane, let alone walking or riding a donkey. To give birth in a stable when even going to the hospital with all the modern conveniences is scaring me half to death. Wow!
But more than just the practical aspects of Jesus's birth, I have been thinking about the emotional toll this must have taken on Mary. If I am feeling the awesome weight of this new responsibility, then how much more must Mary have felt it. Just to know that there is a small being about to enter the word that will be dependent on me for all its needs is intimidating. The fact that I will be guiding this child into adulthood and teaching him about the values of our family with all of my actions is a thought I have been nervously contemplating. But to know not only that you would be raising a child, but that you would be raising the Son of God. An absolutely overwhelming thought.
I find comfort in the thought that Mary was obviously well chosen to bear the burdens placed upon her. I am confident that I am as carefully chosen as the mother of this child as Mary was as the mother of Jesus. I hope that I can approach this new responsibility with the same faith and confidence that Mary did.
"I am the Lord's servant, " Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Luke 1:38"
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
The little dumpling looks just like Blake! I got to meet him in the hospital when he was all of 8 hours old! I'll post a picture soon. :o)
Post a Comment