Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Unfriend Button: Helping Weenies Be Nonconfrontational Since 2004

Today has been a big-ish kind of day for me. 1st and most importantly, on the heels of the announcement that the word "Unfriend" was named word of the year by the New Oxford American Dictionary, I un-friended someone on Facebook because they were really starting to annoy me. This (unfortunately) resulted in some residual un-friending in order to sever all facebook ties with this person. I felt bad at first but, with the support of my friend and some figurative hand holding, I pressed that little button at the bottom of the screen. It's just gotten to the point where I was worried about what I posted because I was worried about what kind of inappropriate comment or uncomfortable observation would be shared with the world. And no, I'm not that interesting so it's really not that big of a deal. And yes, I realize that some people would welcome some silence from my corner of the world. Still, I don't need that kind of drama in my life thankyouverymuch...hater...

2nd and of lesser importance (in a personal breakthrough kind of way) I read a scary article about the seven foods that shouldn't pass your lips based on what certain experts say about their effects on the human body. MSN had it on their home page and I couldn't resist clicking on it (namely because the buttered popcorn in the picture looked really yummy). They are as follows:
  1. Canned Tomatoes
  2. Corn-Fed Beef
  3. Microwave Popcorn
  4. Nonorganic Potatoes
  5. Farmed Salmon
  6. Milk Produced with Artificial Hormones
  7. Conventional Apples
The microwave popcorn, farmed salmon and apples won't be hard for us to avoid because we pop ours on the stove, rarely eat fish anymore and apples aren't my fruit of choice. It will be harder to justify the extra cost of grass-fed Beef and organic milk.

3rd and even less important: I have compiled my personal list of Top 10 Favorite Movies of All Time. Honorees were chosen based on how likely I am to watch them multiple times and (the true test of a great movie) if this movie were on TV would I flip through the channels to see what else is on before coming back or would I stop where I am and enjoy it. They are as follows:
  1. Roman Holiday
  2. Singing in the Rain
  3. Elf
  4. Pride and Prejudice
  5. Wall-E
  6. LA Confidential
  7. Hot Fuzz
  8. The Princess Bride
  9. Casino Royale*
  10. Band of Brothers**
Disagree with my choices? I'd love for you to share you all time favorites and your reasons for selecting them. This is something that I am interested in knowing what you think.

*This movie obliterated years and years of prejudice woven out of cheesy lines, disgusting innuendo and semi-threatening villains and made me love James Bond again...uh, I mean, for the first time.

**Yes, it's an HBO Miniseries and therefore should not be on this list. But these 10 hours of TV are better than EVERY SINGLE WAR MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. I don't care how well portrayed the Omaha Beach assault was portrayed, Saving Private Ryan doesn't even come close.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Don't feel bad about unfriending someone...I've done it to lots of people, mainly people who I felt had no real interest in "keeping up" with me, but only wanted to "spy" on me. That, in turn, made me want to make my life appear more interesting or whatever than theirs. Not a good attitude to have. :-)

I've only seen 3 of your top 10 movies. Unless you count the more recent Pride and Prejudice (I'm assuming you meant the older one). Is that sad? On my list: The Shawshank Redemption, Big Fish, and Slumdog Millionaire. And maybe Little Women. I'd have to think harder about the rest of them.

Jenny and Blake said...

Wow! I better go see if I have been unfriended... Just kidding. I think your list is pretty great except maybe I would add The Clue Movie and The Burbs. I haven't seen Elf.

Meredith said...

Mmm, some great choices there, though I also don't know/haven't seen a few of them. In my top 5 are Dear Frankie and The Emperor's New Groove. I must adamantly disagree with Wall-E, though! Hands down it was one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen.

Jackie said...

Michelle - Yes, I am referring to the new Pride and Prejudice. While it doesn't follow the book exactly and they cut out a few characters, the combination of the Score/Sountrack and the cinematography put it heads and shoulders above the rest of the adaptations.

Jenny - I can't believe that you haven't seen Elf!! It's a must see during the holidays (and any other time of year) A clean, family friendly Will Ferrel movie is nearly impossible to come by but we have a winner in Elf. Also chock-full of quotable lines such as, "SANTA!! I know him!" and "Buddy the Elf, What's your favorite color?" And who can forget the word "Purpley" And the Coke chugging scene? Classic.

Meredith - As I wrote my list I thought about you and your love for Dear Frankie. And I didn't think I'd like Wall-E before I saw it but it resonated with me and has turned into one of the only Pixar movies that I really really love. (Monsters Inc. being the other one) They do good work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...