Friday, July 25, 2008

That's what I get for bragging (part 2)

I hung up the phone on Monday after promising my friend, Natalie, that we would come visit her and the new baby sometime before Matt left for Glorieta and after he got back from the doctor (just in case he was sick - we don't want to pass any sick germs onto the new munchkin).

Since Matt's doctor's appointment was on Wednesday and we had no reason to think he was sick I proceeded to bake a "birthday cake" to take to the Massey's later in the week. I stood over the stove making my ganache proud of how much work I was putting into this culinary endeavor. (Which is a lot coming from girl who thinks its too much work to scramble up an egg to add to top ramen or thaw chicken for shake 'n' bake.) It was hot, I was sweating, my legs and arms were tired from...something. Certainly not work because I haven't been asked to move any refrigerators lately. I don't work out (even though Sarah was nice enough to get me free passes to her gym). I must be worn out from being so awesome!

Tuesday at work I sat at my desk and snacked on my AWESOME chocolate cake and commented to Sarah that I didn't understand why I had been so tired lately. I'd been getting my seven hours of sleep (mostly by going to bed at midnight and sleeping past my alarm for an hour - I was only late to work once - okay twice - but I'm good for it.)

Then it happened. I woke up Wednesday and felt like I had been punched in the neck. By The Rock. Or Hulk Hogan. Possibly Xena the Warrior Princess but she hasn't done any work lately so I'm not sure what kind of shape she's in.

My words from two weeks earlier came back to haunt me... "I haven't been sick in, like, three years!" (At least not with something normal. Bell's Palsy, Chronic Hives, and broken toes don't count.)

"Oooooohhhhhhhh I don't want to go to work today!"

"Make a decision!" Matt had already been hitting the snooze button for an hour - but to be fair he does that every morning for me. I seriously doubt he would have married me if he knew there would be 50 years of this. Too late now, sucker.

"I'm fine. I'm getting up."

I managed to take a shower, blow dry my hair, put on makeup and iron my clothes in 20 minutes flat - a new record. AND I got to work 10 minutes early.

I realized at 8:15 that I should have stayed in bed. I felt like I had run a marathon - well, I've never done that so I have no frame of reference. I felt like I did after a week of 2-a-day tryouts for our high school volleyball team. I shuffled around the office and inwardly groaned when my boss arrived back from his 2 week vacation because that meant that I had to use the bathroom upstairs (the first floor bathroom is next to his office - it's just weird...) I think I even fell asleep at my desk a couple of times.

At 12:30 I threw in the towel. Got home at 1:30. Left a trail of purse, car keys, shoes, socks, pants, and shirt from the front door to the bedroom and promptly collapsed on my bed.

Up until yesterday, I hadn't been sick in three years! That's what I get for bragging...

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...