Saturday, January 19, 2008

For the sake of posting

I don't want this blog to turn out like the time I had a pen pal. We wrote back and forth a few times and really liked each other but after a while we lost interest. I got the feeling that had we met in real life we would not have been friends. I would have been way too "goody-two-shoes" for her and she way too "airwalks and flannel" for me. I tried to make myself feel better by thinking that everyone who has a pen pal loses interest at some point and the most important relationships we develop are the ones we cultivate in person. This of course was before the days of email, instant messaging, cell phones and texting.

Which reminds me, if you are ever out with a friend and you have made plans to meet said friend for a meal or coffee and your cell phone rings or you get a text message - please do not answer it! When you do, you are telling the person that you made plans with that the new person trying to get your attention is more important than they are. And while that may be true, no one likes to have that fact rubbed in their face. Doctors don't invite additional patients into the room while you're sitting half naked on a slab covered in paper, accountants don't start work on other peoples tax returns halfway through finishing yours, and a fire fighter wouldn't leave your burning home to rescue a cat from a tree. Call it the professional courtesy of friendship.

On to happier things, we only have a few boxes left that need to be unpacked before we are officially moved in! Once those are done, we can start using our second bedroom for the things it was meant for - sitting, enjoying hobbies...hmmm...I guess that's all we use it for. I suppose that's all we have space to use it for. Before (and after) we moved into our house we had a lot of people comment on the size of our home. Some are very gracious about it and other have been well, ungracious. But the truth of the matter is that right now we only have need of so much space. sure we'd like to have a bigger place but Matt and I only take up about 10 square feet of space personally. Our bed fits, our toilet and shower fit, we have a refrigerator, washer and drier, sink, oven, tv and computer. Done. Game over. Everything else is just bonus space. So not only do we own a home we can afford, we have also reduced our carbon footprint (Al Gore would be so proud!). I have less to clean and Matt has less to hear me nag him about cleaning. It's a win-win situation!

I promise that we'll have some pictures of the inside of our house posted soon! I just don't want to show everyone what a mess our place is 90% of the time.

7 comments:

Kecia said...

Hey PenPal!
I really am glad you're blogging. And I promise to never text in your presence, ever. I don't even know if texting is possible on my phone...kidding. But it does drive Mike and I nuts watching the students text CONSTANTLY.
Looking forward to seeing the house!

Jackie said...

Thanks Kecia, I appreciate you reigning in your texting when we're together. If you can believe it, I still haven't taken any pictures of the inside of my house! I'll get around to it soon. Promise.

Anonymous said...

There was a time in my life when I owned airwalks and I did wear some flannel . . . it's probably a good thing we met when we did:)

Jackie said...

And that is the exact reason I believe in God's perfect timing. (I had a couple of flannel shirts but my heart just wasn't in it...)

Meredith said...

so.... about those pictures?

Stephanie said...

so...about that blogging?

Jackie said...

yeah, yeah...I have two great stories that I just haven't posted yet...and my house is a mess so I haven't taken pictures. I'll do it today! But I won't promise anything...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...