Yes, you read that right. I cried my daughter to sleep because...
- the kitchen sink was full of dirty dishes and I couldn't give her a bath for the third night in a row.
- my son watched 90 minutes of cartoons instead of the "no more than 1 hour" that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends.
- toddlers and babies who watch TV have decreased standing long jump performance when they are 4-years old.
- there were three baskets of overflowing laundry in need of either being put away or folded.
- the only meaningful contribution I've made to my husband's ministry this month is baking the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
- I eat too many chocolate chip cookies and I'm going to get fat and develop Type 2 Diabetes.
- someday Mini Mange will find out that the vultures in Disney's The Jungle Book are not really singing about friendship. He'll be heartbroken.
- Missy Moo's poop is more orange than it used to be. I think it's the cookies.
- the last five of Mini Mange's poopy diapers smelled worse than they did last week. Like, vomit-in-my-mouth-take-this-to-the-dumpster-right-now-and-grab-the-air-freshener-on-your-way-back-in worse.
- I don't drink enough water.
- Missy Moo sleeps great during the day but won't go to bed until midnight or later.
- we haven't been outside to play for at least four days.
- the only places I go are church and the grocery store.
- Mini Mange won't be a professional athlete because he won't jump very far as a 4-year old.
- there are two pictures on the floor that need to be put back on the wall. They've been on the floor since May.
- it's been 13 months since my last hair cut.
- I'm afraid that Mini Mange isn't having fun with his mommy anymore.
- I'm afraid that I spend too much time telling my kid what NOT to do and that I'm creating a defeated little boy.
- every other mom on the face of the planet is better at this than I am.
- there are babies whose parents leave them in their cribs or in front of the TV all day and they DON'T feel any remorse.
- there are babies and toddlers and children in hospital beds whose parents would give anything to simply worry about giving their child too much TV time and barfy-smelling diapers.
- there are parents without any babies at all.
- there are babies without parents.
- I want my children to know Jesus.
- I was crying.
But today we're okay. Mini Mange still watched two episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and his two poopy diapers almost sent me running to the hills. Missy Moo took two 2.5-hour naps and one 1-hour nap which is only weird because it's completely opposite from what I experienced with her brother. But we played and wrestled and laughed. Big brother gave his sister kisses and hugs, modeled his blue rain hat for her and made sure she had plenty of toys with her in her wiggle chair. Mini Mange thanks God for Daddy, Mommy, "Ah-son" (Allison), cows, frog, and boys (other kids) when we pray before nap and bedtime. Daddy is the Tickle Monster, Mommy is the Kissy Monster and to chase them both away, our sweet little boy becomes the Hug Monster.
I encourage you to follow along in the 30-Days to Enjoying Your Children More series over at fiveintow.com. I've already gotten a lot out of the first six days and been encouraged to know (more like be reminded) that I'm not the only mom who struggles with this stuff. I also recommend reading her quote wall. But not if it's 1:20 am and you needed to be in bed 30 minutes ago. Like me.




2 comments:
I've only read one of the posts in the series so far, but it was just what I needed to read. And I completely understand where you're coming from...our thoughts about our inadequacies as parents can run away and get minds of their own and cause us to look at ourselves instead of at Jesus, which is where we need to be looking. Isn't it good that our children NEED us to not be perfect so that they'll need Jesus?
I have three friends who in the last year or so have lost babies shortly after birth. Every time I'm having one of those days where nothing is going right and all I want to do is cry, I try to remember them and the ache in their hearts for days like the one I'm in. It doesn't always pull me out of my funk, but it usually helps me keep things in perspective: love is more important than a lot of the other stuff. I need to love my kids and enjoy them. They'll have their own kids before I blink twice.
I've had Matt Redman's "10000 Reasons" on repeat...if you haven't heard it (you probably have, though...you live in America =)), I'd recommend it...I look at my screaming kids and my messy kitchen while it's playing and can't help but "bless the Lord and worship his holy name." I have much to be grateful for.
I bet if you look ahead 12 years Owen and Allison will say "Mom why did you think that taking a bath in the bathroom instead of the kitchen sink, watching 2 hours of tv for one day, not having folded laundry, was going to ruin us". "No way you could get fat because you chase us around all day", " our friends think you make the best chocolate chip cookies ever", "yes mom our poopy diapers stinks but so does everybody else's,"
I remember after Jessica was born I was so tired that you sat on the couch watching tv and I laid down next to you and took a nap. Pretty soon you were snuggling next to me sleeping too.
I remember when you were very young maybe two years old you helped me do the dishes. You got pretty wet and so did the floor but those were good times.
Dress warm and Sit on the back porch and draw chalk pictures with Owen. Start a worm bin with Owen. Grab a few rocks paint them with water colors. You"ll have some fresh air and gifts for pa ma and ma pa.
You are a good mom and being the best mom in the world is not a contest.
Post a Comment