Sunday, July 17, 2011

What Are You Waiting For?

It's book review time.  This one's a doozy girls so get out your checkbooks, cash envelopes, debit cards or budgeted ministry allowance because you're gonna want to buy this one...

"What Are You Waiting For?" by Danna Gresh has "one surprising word for you" that provides a wealth of insight on God's view of sex.  Filled with personal anecdotes, scientific studies, biblical truths and a few not-so-scientific surveys, "What Are You Waiting For?" is a MUST READ for anyone who spends time ministering to young women.  She tackles some tough topics in chapters titled, "Our Porn Problem," "The Line," "Sex is Not a Solo Sport," and "The Lesbian Question."  Pretty much all the stuff that your average single girl might want to know about but is too embarrassed to ask.  And certainly it contains answers to questions that your average Christian girl doesn't want to rely on Cosmo to answer.

I might be in the minority on this one, but I think the secular world talks about sex too much and the church doesn't talk about it enough.  Gresh's "One Thing" made me want to jump out of my seat and do a little fist pump.  (I won't spoil it for you - you can read it for yourself.)  It succinctly put into words all the reasons why I felt it was so important to remain sexually pure until I was married.  It's not "NEW" information but it's presented in a relevant way and I heard my own voice and heart more often than not in the words that she put on the page.  Of all the "virginity apologetics" books I've read, this is the only one that didn't make me roll my eyes in exasperation.

For those interested in using this book as a tool in their ministry, Chapter 13 titled, "Starting Over," covers breaking soul ties to past sexual partners, confessing to your husband or future husband and provides a framework for facilitating a sexual healing prayer.  It's pretty intense.

The book is also a lot of fun too.  Gresh sprinkles enough anecdotes of courtships, dating relationships and engagements to make the romantic in all of us swoon with delight.  Jane Austen eat your heart out; Elizabeth and Darcy have nothing on some of these lovers.

Bottom line:  Buy it.  Read it.  Embrace it.  Preach it.

Read a copy of chapter one here and don't forget to rate my review.  You'll be automatically entered to win a copy of the book and you'll help me maintain access to other great WaterBrook Multnomah titles.



What Are You Waiting For by Dannah Gresh (Chapter 1)

**I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for my honest review**

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...