We have this client who is...let's just say she is very emphatic with her email correspondence. She's a nice lady. Loves Jesus. Loves her kids. Wants to be a good person to the world at large.
But this woman will not stop yelling at me in her emails. The thing is, I don't know if she knows she's yelling at me. I'm certain no one has told her that when a person uses all capital letters in an email it's as good as screaming in the recipient's face. Lots of exclamation points? She's got those covered too.
"When I met with ________ last week I told him I was MOVING!!!! Please UPDATE MY ADDRESS!!!! I DON'T WANT MY MAIL STOLEN...."
"Congratulations on the BABY!! HOW WONDERFUL! Enjoy your MATERNITY LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Today, my co-worked opened her inbox.
"Uh oh. Looks like ______ has found a new way to yell at me. It's all in RED!!"
Seriously.
But this got me thinking...What if Jesus had used all capital letters when talking to Peter? I mean, his stuff is already printed in red so it wouldn't be too big of a jump. And you can bet that my co-worker and I don't let an email from this person sit in our inbox for too long without taking care of it, lest we unleash a flurry of emoticons.
I think Peter could have benefited from some capital letters and a few emoticons:
(roughly translated from John 21)
Jesus: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter: “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus: “Feed my lambs."
Jesus: “SIMON son of John, DO YOU LOVE ME?”
Peter: “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus: “TAKE CARE of MY sheep.”
Jesus: “SIMON SON OF JOHN, DO YOU LOVE ME?”
Peter: “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus: “FEED MY SHEEP(!!)..."
So if it works for Dear, Sweet, Ms. Client it would totally work for Jesus:



3 comments:
Haha. Wow. That was AWESOME!!!! =)
I KNOW!! That is *almost* as "annoying" as people who *emphasize* every other "word" with *asterisks* and "quotation marks"!!!!
My mom's Parkinson's makes the shift key hard for her, so she used to write on facebook in all caps all the time. But instead of seeming mad, she seemed like one of those old people who talk loud because they can't hear. She doesn't do it always now; I'm trying to convince her that people would actually rather read all lower case. It's a work in progress.
omg!
Post a Comment